Sunday, November 20, 2011

Day 13: Trinidad

Today I had to kill my first cockroach ever. Not a pleasant experience, to be sure. I may have to find another place to stay for the next night - but then again, I'm probably not going to get another deal a good as this one (15CUC, breakfast included - until now, I always paid 20 or 25 excluding breakfast). There had to be a catch, right?

Another reason I chose this place was that I was in dire need of a shower when I stepped off the night bus at 7 am - and the owner of this house was at the bus terminal looking for customers. So just following her was definitely the easiest route to a hot shower and breakfast :-)

But apart from the cockroach adventure, Trinidad is a really charming city. The entire city center consists of colorful old colonial houses and streets that were built in the pre-cobblestone era. Have a look:





In the city center, there are almost no houses that provide housing only. Most of them have either a small arts&crafts shop in the living room, or rent out rooms to tourists. This makes it really interesting to just stroll around the streets and look.

In addition to the huge open air museum that is Trinidad, there are also some nice indoor museums. One is an art gallery exhibiting works done by local artists. The colonial design of the rooms alone would have merited a visit; combined with the artwork on display the museum is a real killer. I wasn't allowed to take pictures of the paintings upstairs, but there were some amazing pieces downstairs, too. Like this 3D-image of Trinidad's main squre, made from wooden cigar cases:



Or this one, made entirely of shells:



Beautiful, isn't it?