Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Day 30: Habana to Panama

So today I leave Cuba. I don't know if I want to come back someday - it was definitely very interesting, and the diving was superb, but overall I think I felt hustled too frequently to really crave to return soon.

My flight leaves in the late afternoon and goes to Buenos Aires via Panama. I'm scheduled to arrive in Argentina early tomorrow. So that leaves me with half a day in Habana. I decide to first visit the house of birth of José Martí - which turns out to be a bit of a disappointment. The museum has a number of rather boring exhibits - such as the dishes he used, or the cuffs he wore in prison. It doesn't really make an effort to give a coherent account of his life. Instead, it highlights certain aspects or incidents using seemingly random exhibits. Well, I guess not all museums can be top-notch, but I do expect more from a place praised in the travel guide.

Next I went to the Havana Club rum museum. Now this was a lot more interesting. The museum isn't very large, but the English-speaking guide explained all aspects of rum production very well. Did you know that they use old whiskey or bourbon barrels for the ageing process? Apparently that's why rum tastes smoother in comparison with whiskey. I guess it makes sense - the more use a barrel has been put to, the less aroma remains that the wood can give to the liquid in the barrel. The tour included the tasting of a 7 year old rum. I've never really cared much for rum, but it actually tasted quite good. Of course, it doesn't have as much character as whiskey... ;-)