Friday, November 25, 2011

Day 37: Planning in Buenos Aires

I still enjoy being in Buenos Aires, so I decided to stay a little longer: I just signed up for one week of Spanish classes :-) Classes start next Tuesday (Monday is a national holiday). I haven't been in actual classes for a long time - I think the last of my university courses was seven years ago. So I'm really curious about the classes - will they be boring and make me sleep, or will they be fun, entertaining, and - above all - instructive?

Afterwards, I went to the bus terminal to check transportation options in Argentina. There are lots of long distance buses available - unlike Cuba, there is more than one company here ;-) However, it turns out that the country is HUGE. The closest places I want to visit are about 20 bus hours away... So I guess I'll have to plan carefully and definitely throw in destinations in Chile on the way - backtracking isn't a good option in a country this size.

I also did some sightseeing: the Museo de Arte Hispanoamericano Isaac Fernández Blanco is close to the bus station - and free on Thursdays. The building is gorgeous, inside even more than outside.



The collection focuses on religious artefacts - a bit too much for my taste. But they also have some rooms where they put all sorts of everyday objects - that other museums might display separately - into context by arranging them as they might have been found in actual houses. Much more interesting than when everything is placed in its own display case!