Thursday, November 24, 2011

Day 35: Recoleta

Having recovered from my cold, I went to visit Recoleta today. Recoleta is a neighborhood in Buenos Aires, mostly famous for its cemetery. The cemetery is really interesting, especially when in direct comparison with the one in Habana . Both are catholic cemeteries, but the atmosphere is very different. Where the one in Habana is an open sea of white, it is quite impossible to get such an overview of the Recoleta cemetery: it consists of lots and lots of family mausoleums, and their height blocks everything from view except for the current row.



Of course, I had to visit Evita's tomb, too. The travel guide said only to follow the crowds to find it - bloody idiots! But after lots of wandering around, I did find it despite the lack of directions:



Afterwards, I visited the museum of fine arts. It was a little disappointing (or I was simply too tired?), but at least it was free - that's how it should be!

Nearby, there's an interesting monument - a homage to all flowers. It's a huge artificial flower that opens and closes with the sun every day. I like sculptures that react to their environment in some way :-)