Thursday, November 24, 2011

Day 36: Palermo

Palermo is another neighborhood in Buenos Aires - this one is famous for all its parks and plazas.

I went for the botanical gardens first - this time skipping the zoo next door ;-) The atmosphere in the gardens is beautiful, a relaxed combination of flowers, trees, shaded paths with benches, some statues and nice flowery smells. Too bad you can't upload smells!





My next stop was the Japanese garden. I was curious to see how close it would come to the gardens I've seen in Japan.



Compared to the centuries-old gardens in Japan, this one is quite new: it was constructed in the 1960s for the visit of the Japanese emperor. So it's not surprising that the ancient-ness of many Japanese gardens was missing. Also, I think there were too many fountains around... But apart from that, I guess it is as close to Japan as you're gonna get in South America ;-)



Finally, I visited the Museo de Arte Latinoamericano de Buenos Aires. Compared to the rather dark atmosphere of the museum I visited yesterday, Malba is very light and airy. It also has a focus on more modern art which suited me very well. Another thing that's great about Malba is that their entire collection is available online. For example, check out Alejandro Xul Solar - I really like his work!