Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Day 83: Castro

Castro is the capital of the island Chiloé, a few bus-hours south of Puerto Varas, and this is where I went today.

When I arrived at the bus terminal, it was raining cats and dogs, and it continued until I got to my hostel. Fifteen minutes later, the sun was shining out of a blue sky. Another fifteen minutes later, another shower. And like that it continued until I went to sleep. Funny weather, eh? At least I got to use my umbrella and thus got rid of the feeling that I'm carrying it for nothing ;-)

In the afternoon, I visited Castro's main sight, the cathedral. Chiloé is full of old wooden churches, all of which are UNESCO world heritage sites.

Just to illustrate the crazy weather, this is the cathedral just before I entered:



...and this is a few minutes later, after I had a look at the interior:



The interior is very beautiful, very light and open. Not at all like those heavy, cold and dark churches you get elsewhere ;-)



Like most churches I've seen in the past few weeks, this one also has at least one blinking (!) Christmas-related element. In this case, the nativity scene had blinking lights:



Apart from the blinking, however, it was done up rather nicely and tastefully :-)