Saturday, January 28, 2012

Day 100: Cordoba

It is amazing how many completely different catholic churches there are in Cordoba - especially considering that the city is only 400 years old. Have a look at some of them:

Basílica de la Merced





Catedral





Iglesia de Santa Catalina



Iglesia de Santa Teresa



Iglesia del Sagrado Corazón



Iglesia de San Francisco



Iglesia de la Compañía de Jesús





Jesuit quarter



I do hope that I got the names right for all of them ;-)

Of course, I didn't look exclusively at churches all day long. I also visited two art museums, a natural sciences museum and Parque Sarmiento. In the park, there is a monument dedicated to Cordoba, erected for Argentina's 200th birthday. It consists of 200 big rings, one for each year, and each inscribed with the most important events in that year.



I really like the playful atmosphere of the monument. It invites to explore Cordoba's history by walking through it rather than by studying history books.

From what I've seen today, Cordoba certainly seems like a very livable city - though I'm not sure it is possible to tell after only one day. In fact, that's what I thought of each of the three major cities I've seen in South America so far - Buenos Aires, Santiago and Cordoba. I'm already curious about the cities further north :-)