Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 75: Hiking to Refugio Frey

So I decided to go on another multi-day hike. I'd heard great things about this hike from a German girl I met a few days ago, so I wanted to see for myself.

The first day led me to Refugio Frey. But first I went to do two small side trips. First, to a nice but rather unspectacular waterfall, and second to a gorgeous lookout overlooking Lago Gutiérrez:



700 meters to the lookout sounded rather harmless... but with 100 meters of altitude gain added it suddenly became quite tough for a little side trip. Although the view was worth it, of course.

The four-hour hike up to the Refugio was mainly this: uphill, long and often steep. Some parts of it offered great views of reddish mountains though:



And the views from the Refugio itself were not so bad either ;-)