Friday, January 6, 2012

Day 79: Puerto Varas

I caught an early bus today to cross over into Chile again. My goal was to explore some of the Chilean lake district, and I ended up choosing Puerto Varas for its proximity to my next destination, its German roots, and the praise it received from my travel guide.

Puerto Varas is located on the shoes of Lago Llanquihue, offering spectacular views of two nearby volcanoes, Osorno and Calbuco:





The town is small but very cute. You can really see the influence of the German settlers in some of the architecture. There is also a German association called Deutscher Verein upholding German culture by selling Bratwurst ;-).



They also have a supermarket with my name (very cool!) which carries German bread and an assortment of other German products.



Santa Isabel is the best stocked supermarket I've seen in weeks, and it has a feature I've seen nowhere else in the world: they have an employee whose only job it is to assist foreign customers. She talks to all lost-looking people in the market and helps to locate products and translate labels. I didn't really need her help today, but I think it's a great service. I would've needed something like this in Japan!