Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day 136: Orígenes

During the final Spanish class today, my teacher told me that my accent was actually pretty good - what a nice confidence boost!

She also told me about superstitions in Bolivia. For example, when you find money on the street, it is only considered lucky if you buy some bread from it and distribute it among the street dogs.

I then spent the afternoon arranging the four-day trek starting tomorrow, and removing everything from my backpack that isn't absolutely vital for trekking - I'm lazy, after all ;-)

In the evening, I visited Orígenes, a show that presents a wide selection of Bolivian folkloric dances. Some dances - and the costumes - were the same ones I'd already seen at Oruro carnival. Others, especially the everyday dances where people use regular clothing and no masks, were new to me. The show was really good and well-done. Unfortunately, the picture-taking permit would have doubled the entry fee, so I opted to just enjoy the show instead of frantically trying to shoot the perfect picture ;-)