Friday, March 2, 2012

Day 121: Sucre

Today I spent some time exploring Sucre. The outskirts of Sucre look like those of any other Bolivian city, but the city center is different: in Sucre, every building in the center is white.



Somewhat fitting for a city called "sugar", don't you think? But, in fact, Sucre is not named for the sweet white stuff, but in honor of General Sucre. I learned about this visiting the Casa de la Libertad, a museum showing everything about how Bolivia became an independent country, including the original room where independence was declared.

Back on the streets, I could only marvel at the beautiful buildings. Here is one of many white churches in Sucre:



And this is a government building. Note Bolivia's coat of arms above the door. Magnificent, isn't it?



In the evening, I took a night bus to Oruro to witness the famous carnival. This meant it was time to say goodbye to the three girls I had traveled with for the last days. We had a lot of fun together, and I would have loved to travel a little more with them. But alas, carnival is calling, and there's nothing you can do about that, right? ;-)