Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day 127: Recoleta, Sucre

As my Spanish classes were scheduled to start in the afternoon, I spent the morning ascending to Recoleta, Sucre's mirador. The views of Sucre and the surrounding mountains were splendid despite the clouds ;-)



Primarily, of course, Recoleta is not the name of the mirador, but of the nearby church and its beautiful courtyard:





In the afternoon, I was surprised to discover that the school thought my level of Spanish was already quite good - nothing boosts self-esteem like this :-)

Because lessons in Bolivia are incredibly cheap, I decided to get private lessons. My teacher, Delia, is a lovely indigenous Bolivian woman. She not only teaches me grammar and has me practice speaking, but also tells me a lot about life in Bolivia, politics, and current events - I'll write more about this tomorrow.

My first homework assignment was very funny: look up natural remedies for all kinds of ailments to have vocabulary for practicing the imperative forms tomorrow :-)