Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day 126: Sucre

I arrived in Sucre at about 6 in the morning after a very relaxing night in the bus - the driver had turned on heating instead of air conditioning for once, I'm really grateful :-)

On my way to the hostel, and also later in the day, I saw many families putting small coal stoves in front of their doors and decorating the ground with flowers. Some kind of carnival custom? I wasn't able to find out what it signifies though.



My plan for the day was to look for a Spanish school and start classes immediately, but due to the carnival holidays everything was closed. With the help of other Spanish students in the hostel, I found an open school in the afternoon. This way I could at least sign up and do the entry exam to be ready for classes first thing tomorrow.

On my way back from the school, I discovered how carnival in Sucre differs from Oruro. In Oruro, everyone sprayed artificial snow at everyone else. In Sucre, super soakers and balloons filled with water were the weapons of the day. So of course, I got soaked more than once, although the school is only five or six blocks from the hostel. When I finally got back, I took a nice hot shower to warm up and decided not to leave again this day ;-)