Saturday, July 21, 2012

Day 276: Independence Day

I only realized yesterday evening that today would be Colombia's independence day. Consequently, I had made plans to travel to Salento today without considering of travel on independence day was a good idea or not.

On the way out of Bogotá, I thought it was a terribly bad idea; it took ages to get out of the city, and for a few hours, the street trembled one big traffic jam. But later on, I saw all the construction sites along the road - apparently they are building many new bridges and tunnels - and the fleet of construction vehicles parked at one of the sites. If it hadn't been a holiday, all of these would have been out on the street, no doubt creating traffic jams of their own. So in essence, I think independence day really didn't have any influence on the duration of my trip. Who would've thought?

Salento is a small village in the so-called Zona Cafetera - the area where all the good Colombian coffee comes from :-) I was happy that, after ten hours on buses, I managed to arrive in daylight to get a first glimpse at the village and its plaza.