Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 270: Another day in Quito

I dedicated this morning to getting things done: a bus ticket, a hair cut, and a visit to a tailor's shop were on my list. Of course, this is great fun when you're in a new city and don't know your way around ;-) I managed to get everything done, however, with the most rewarding part being the visit to the tailor. I learned a new word in the process - a tailor's shop is called sastrería in Spanish - and got the zipper on my bag replaced for only three dollars. Yay!

In the afternoon, I visited Parque Itchimbía, a park that is only a ten-minute walk uphill from my hostel. The park is quite big, and from different parts of it there are great views of different parts of Quito. This, for example, is old Quito and the Panecillo:



All over the park, families were flying kites, playing with their dogs, or just relaxing on the lawn. In the center of the park was a big glass-and-metal cultural center that advertised two temporary exhibitions that were supposedly taking place now. In reality, however, the only exhibit was empty space, clearly visible from the outside thanks to the glass construction.



The only objects left to admire were some outdoor sculptures like this beautiful metal tree whose leaves and branches rotated in the wind.



I wasn't too disappointed by the lack of exhibitions though, since I'd brought a good book. So I just sat outside, read and enjoyed the sunny weather.