Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 271: Quito without cars

Every Sunday, Quito's historical center is closed for cars. Taxis and buses are allowed in, but priority is given to cyclists and pedestrians. In consequence, everybody who owned a bicycle took the chance to cycle around the city today. Those who didn't own a bicycle went for a walk instead, and so the streets were very lively. There were theatric performances or bands playing music at every corner, especially around Plaza Grande, and the atmosphere reminded me of a festival.

Policemen in old-fashioned uniforms, equipped with blades and spurred boots instead of pistols and batons, stood guard at many street corners.



Without cars threatening to run me over, I took the opportunity to stand in the middle of the street to take some more pictures of Quito's wonderful colonial architecture.



Walking past the presidential palace on one side of Plaza Grande, I noticed a queue - apparently people were lining up to visit the palace. Since I didn't have anything better to do, I joined the queue. Towards the ends of the waiting time, everybody was suddenly taking out their identity cards - and that's when it dawned on me that a passport would quite likely be required to enter. My passport, of course, was safely stowed away in the hostel; I usually only carry a copy with me. Since I had already waited for about half an hour, I decided to give it a try - and without even having to utter a single persuasive word, they let me in with my beat-up old passport copy.

The presidential palace, or Palacio de Carondelet as it is called officially, houses not only the president's living quarters (where the current president does not live, however), but also rooms for official occasions, a banquet hall and the Cabinet meeting room. All of the rooms we were shown on the tour were splendid - spacious and exquisitely furnished - such as this banquet hall:



To make the splendor complete, every single room had several stunning chandeliers, made of the finest crystal glass available.



Overlooking the Plaza Grande, there is the presidential balcony. Judging by the views from up there, this must be how the plaza was meant to be admired!



Another building on the Plaza that can't really be seen fully from the ground floor is the cathedral. The view from the presidential balcony offers a far superior perspective:



Throughout the tour, it was evident once again that the average Ecuadorian really likes their president. Someone said 'Viva Correa' - this would be unimaginable in Germany (and, I think, in most other western countries too)!

The visit to the palace was completely free of charge, and at the end of the tour the guide even handed out free photos that a photographer had taken of each participant. Below the picture, the print gave the current date and said that the palace belonged to everybody. Again, this would be quite unimaginable in Germany, but I thought it was a really nice touch!