Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day 255: Resuming Travel: On to the Galapagos

Today was by far the single most expensive day in my trip - I spent well over 1000 dollars (in cash!) organizing my week on the Galapagos. Hearing what other people spend on their cruises alone, I am still very much on the cheap side with this!

But let me start art the beginning. I got a very early start to catch the first bus out of Kamala at 4:45. At about eight I arrived in Guayaquil, with plenty of time to head to the airport and catch my 10:50 flight to the Galapagos islands.

Walking to the airport, I realized that my pinky toes hurt - they are apparently not used to my hiking boots anymore. After five weeks of wearing flip flops, if anything, on my feet this really shouldn't come as a surprise.

My flight was the first time ever that I boarded the plane as one of the first passengers - and found it two thirds full already. The explanation is simple: flights to the Galapagos leave from Quito and then make a short stop in Guayaquil to collect some more passengers.

The view from the plane was wonderful: pristine turquoise waters surrounding rocky islands, with a few white sand beaches strewn in - looking very much like the dream destination it apparently is.

The airport on the Galapagos is located on the uninhabited island Baltra. Getting to my hostel in the town of Puerto Ayora on Santa Cruz island therefore involved a combination of bus, ferry, and another bus. Getting on the ferry, I was greeted by this perfect combination of blue sky and turquoise water:



Then, after about 12 hours of travel, I finally arrived at my hostel and almost instantly set out again to organize my stay. I had my mind set on a few days on a cruise ship, diving, and maybe a day trip or two. Apart from the day trips, I got it all organized, and them even had time to catch a first glimpse at the local flora and fauna: