Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 264: On to Baños

Another travel day: my bus to Ambato left in the early morning, and after catching a connection to Baños, I arrived there in the afternoon. A quick stroll around town revealed the major culinary tourist attraction: Melcocha!



The smell of all these stalls next to each other producing Melcocha was really nice, and so of course I had to try some. It quickly turned out, however, that the smell had promised more than the taste could fulfill. It wasn't bad - caramel with a hint of peanut - but the stuff acted like glue in my mouth which kinda ruined the experience.

A little further down the street I discovered the basilica. From the outside, it looked more or less like a regular church:



But the inside was surprisingly... rectangular. Nothing of the domed ceiling you usually find in churches. Nice to look at for a change!