Saturday, December 31, 2011

Days 68 + 69: Bariloche

I didn't do a lot these two days, just a little walking around Bariloche, a little planning, and a little trying to publish blog posts over the hostel's crappy wifi. Turns out the wifi wasn't the only problem preventing me from publishing pictures and blog updates - as I found out later, I'd also run out of google storage space... but obviously, I've fixed that in the meantime. The error messages given by my Android apps could really have been a little more conclusive - and consistent, for that matter.

Oh, and obviously it was Christmas - not a lot to do because pretty much everything was closed down. Christmas wasn't very spectacular, but at least it was warm and sunny :-) The Christmas decorations with artificial snow on them look kinda funny here:



Another funny aspect was that they started setting off fireworks at midnight - I wonder what will happen at new year's eve?

Bariloche is located at the shore of Lago Nahuel Huapi and usually offers beautiful views of the mountains on the far end. However, as you might have read in the media, the Chaitén volcano in Chile erupted about half a year ago. At the time, it caused many disruptions in air traffic, and covered some towns in 40 cm of volcanic ash. Right now, the ash doesn't disrupt traffic anymore, only the view. I took these two pictures from the same spot (my hostel's rooftop terrace), once in perfect weather, and once with ash around:





In the city center, they have some chalet-style houses which immediately reminded me of the Alps - I'm guessing that's the association they were trying to achieve.