Friday, December 30, 2011

Day 64: Fitz Roy

The weather cleared up very nicely, and so I decided to do the longest hike in the area up to Laguna de los Tres. There are wonderful views of Fitz Roy up there - provided the sky is clear.

At the first viewpoint on the way up, there were still clouds around Fitz Roy:




But once I got to the top, it cleared up to reveal these gorgeous views:







I spent about two hours up there, just watching Fitz Roy smoke. Really amazing!

I then went on a little side trip to get a better view of glacier Piedras Blancas:




Due to bad signposting, I somehow took the wrong path and only noticed my mistake after about 40 minutes... adding quite a bit to my kilometer count ;-) I'm guessing I walked about 30 km today, in a total of 10 hours including breaks.

The way back down was surprisingly pleasant, with some nice views of the river valley below: