Monday, December 19, 2011

Day 60: The W (4) - Cuernos to Chileno

After having been so exhausted yesterday, I promised myself that I would only go to the next camp, Refugio Chileno, today. I felt quite fit later in the day, so I didn't keep my promise and ended up walking about 25 km in 7 hours.

During the first part, I had some great views of Lago Nordenskjöld.





After a while, there is a shortcut to Refugio Chileno. It is only a shortcut in distance to walk - the altitude difference still has to be covered. So the result is that the shortcut has a quite steep and long uphill part. But, applying the walking/jogging strategy I discovered yesterday, it wasn't so bad, and I arrived at the Refugio after only 4 hours (instead of the of 6.5 that were stated on the map which doesn't display the shortcut). The refugio can be seen a little way up this valley:



So I was happy that my day's work was done and sat down to have lunch. Then I met a couple (who took longer for the hike from Cuernos than I did) who said they were going on to the Torres del Paine viewpoint - marked on the map as 2.5 hours one way. I didn't really feel like going, but then decided to ask if there was a weather forecast for tomorrow. The Refugio's staff didn't have one yet - but said that they had had excellent weather for a week now which was very unusual. So I decided to clench my teeth and go on - at least I didn't have to carry my backpack this time.

Very much to my surprise, I arrived at the top after only 1 hour and 20 minutes. Is the map simply wrong, our have I discovered super-speed?

Anyway, there was a fantastic view of the Torres del Paine:





In the evening, there was some rain (the first I've seen here), so maybe the trails won't be as dusty tomorrow. My shoes and the lower party of my trousers are totally covered in dust - the original color can only be guessed ;-)