Monday, December 12, 2011

Day 53: Laguna Nimez

It is extremely windy in El Calafate - as in the rest of Patagonia, from what I've heard. So the first thing I did this morning was to go shopping and buy a windproof jacket. I found a very light and comfortable one that can even be converted to cover the torso only. This should allow me to do all the hiking I want in the Andes :-)

In another shop I found the absolute cutest souvenir ever - and the first one that made me sad because I couldn't buy it (no space in the backpack, especially not for breakable items): a sheep where the head and feet are made from clay, and the rest from real super-soft sheep fur. I could have stayed in that shop for hours, just touching the sheep... But alas, I had some more plans for the day ;-)

To test if the jacket really works, I visited the Laguna Nimez natural reserve. There are many different birds to be seen in the reserve, including these flamingos (did you know that they are called flamenco in Spanish? Yes, just like the Spanish dance):



By the way, the turquoise blue strip you can see in the back is Lago Argentino, the country's biggest lake.

There was also this pair guarding their newborns:



Besides the wildlife, the scenery is fantastic, too: