Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Days 55 and 56 : Puerto Natales

Yesterday, I took a short (5 hour) bus to Puerto Natales, Chile. The town itself isn't really with a visit, but it has all you need to prepare for a few days of hiking. And of course, this is why I came! Tomorrow at 7:30 am, I am starting a five-day trek doing the W circuit in Torres del Paine national park. It's supposed to be spectacular, and I'm really looking forward to it.

So most of yesterday and today was spent in preparation: booking accommodation along the trail, arranging transportation, buying food, booking accommodation for the return, etc.

The fun part was food: I am taking my own food for five full days because eating in the mountain lodges is ridiculously expensive. But what to take? And how much do I need? Have a look at this picture to see what I got:



A pretty weird mix, if you ask me. But then again, I'm weird too, so maybe it'll work out ;-) For the amount, I roughly calculated with 2000 kcal a day, and then added a bit.

So now I'll go eat my last real meal, and then disappear in the Andes. Don't expect any updates before the 19th :-)