Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Day 47: On to Puerto Madryn

Last evening, I finally left Buenos Aires and boarded a long-distance bus to Puerto Madryn. There are lots of different bus companies to choose from - I'm guessing there must be well over a hundred ticket booths in the Buenos Aires bus terminal.

Similar to planes and trains, there are a few classes of varying degrees of comfort to choose from - there is common, semi-cama, cama, and a class with "executive" in its name. I was on a semi-cama bus with service. The seats were fairly comfortable, just the service didn't really deserve the name. The breakfast, for example, was just a cookie and a coffee - hardly worth calling it a breakfast... Well, now I know that I'll be better off next time if I choose a bus without service and bring my own food :-)

Puerto Madryn is the first place in Patagonia on my trip. Looking out of the bus window, I could get a first impression of how vast and empty Patagonia is: