Sunday, December 4, 2011

Day 45: Milonga

This evening, I attended a Milonga. A Milonga is basically a dance event where tango music is played. So ordinary people go there to dance tango. Of course, you can also just watch - which is what I did ;-)

The milonga took place in a gorgeous old building with incredibly high ceilings and beautiful ornaments. Have a look:



After a while, a band started playing live, and later in the evening there was even a small tango show.

It was a very nice evening - but one observation really struck me. The look on the dancers' faces was almost uniformly a look of deep concentration. I couldn't help but compare this to the looks on the faces of the samba drumming group I saw perform a few says ago - expressions of pure joy and liveliness. I very much prefer the latter... so maybe tango is not for me?