Friday, December 30, 2011

Day 65: Laguna Torre

Another brilliant day for hiking in El Chaltén, and so I went to do another long hike. The hike took me up to Laguna Torre, and then a little further up to Mirador Maestri, totaling about 28km with only 300m of altitude gain. According to the map, the hike to the mirador should take 4 hours; somehow, I managed to be up there in 2:45 :-)

Close to Mirador Maestri, there are superb views of Glaciar Grande:



Laguna Torre with the cloud-coated Torre range:



Later in the afternoon, the remaining few clouds cleared away, leading to this grand view of Cerro Torre:



So now... Since I'm leaving El Chaltén tomorrow morning I guess it is time for the final El Chaltén vs. Torres del Paine comparison.

The views and landscape are magnificent in both places, but Torres del Paine was a little more varied. The hikes are more difficult in Torres del Paine (which is a plus), and I loved the advanced planning needed for food and accommodation for five days. Then again, it is also very comfortable to have several day hikes available just outside the hostel's door, being able to return to supermarkets and wifi at the end of the day. All things considered, I'd say that Torres del Paine wins, but not by much. I'll have to return there some day and do the full circuit :-)