Sunday, December 18, 2011

Day 58: The W (2) - Grey to Paine Grande

Today's task was to simply backtrack to Paine Grande and relax for the big day tomorrow. Backtracking sounds worse than it actually is - the views are completely different going in the other direction, it is almost like walking on an entirely different path.

I started off early, at about 7:15 am. The advantage of starting this early is that there is almost nobody else on the track - at the busier times, it feels more like an ant trail than a wilderness trek... Another advantage is that the lakes are still unperturbed, leading to gorgeous views like these:







In the afternoon, I went on for a little bit to get to a vantage point overlooking Lago Pehoé.



On the way, I identified the lovely-smelling plant.



Unfortunately, I haven't found out yet how it is called - I asked at the lodge, but the guy wasn't into flora, apparently.

This is the view from the lookout. Wow, am I glad that I went!





And finally, this is lodge Paine Grande - with Paine Grande (the mountain) in the back - where I'm staying tonight: