Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 361: To El Nido

Due to the slow speed of ground transportation in the Philippines, today was another day spent almost entirely in getting from A to B. A, in this case, was Puerto Princesa, and B El Nido, a small beach town on the northern coast of Palawan. I had met three other travelers in Puerto Princesa who also wanted to go to El Nido, and so we made the journey together, and also looked for accommodation in El Nido together.

In the Americas, I had gotten used to booking accommodation online. That way I could rely on user reviews to find the nicest places, and I never had to wander the streets aimlessly with my backpack. In the Philippines, I found this to be almost impossible. In most places, there was not a single hostel or guesthouse available for online booking. Which is why I was very grateful to have a few companions who shared the need to find accommodation in El Nido. Despite everything I'd read about dormitory roooms not being available in El Nido (and all other accommodation being quite expensive), we ended up finding a hotel with a pretty cheap dorm and a terrace overlooking the bay. Beautiful!

In the afternoon, we went to check out the beach and go for a little swim. The water had almost the temperature of a bathing tub - perfect to just float and do nothing for a while :-)