Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Day 351: Goodbye, Mexico! Goodbye, Americas!

On my last half day in Mexico and the Americas, I went to visit the Castillo de Chapultepec, and the national history museum that is located there. In my experience, it usually makes more sense to visit a history museum on the first day in a country instead of the last; but since I didn't enter Mexico through the capital I couldn't really help it.


The history museum covered Mexican history starting with the Spanish conquest - I'd already seen all things pre-hispanic in in the anthropology museum.

I learned that Mexico was one of many countries that used Spain's troubles at the beginning of the 19th century - when it was invaded by Napoleon - as an opportunity to declare their independence. Isn't it fascinating that almost all South and Central American countries started their independence movements around the same time? Mexico declared independence in 1810, so - like many of the South American countries I've visited before - it just celebrated its 200th birthday two years ago. In contrast, the Philippines, also colonized by the Spanish, started their independence war only at the very end of the 19th century.

Right at the beginning of the exhibition, the museum had a sculpture representing the Mexican coat of arms: an eagle devouring a snake while sitting on a cactus.


For a long time, the castle served as residence for Mexico's rulers; the conversion into a museum is relatively recent. As I discovered, there are two parts to the museum: one part explains Mexican history, while the other showcases some of the residence's rooms with their original furnishings. This, for example, was a dining room:


From the castle's rooftop terrace, there were great views of Mexico City's skyline. The tree-covered area in front is the Bosque de Chapultepec, the largest park in Mexico City.


In the afternoon, it was time for me to say goodbye to the Americas. After almost an entire year spent in Spanish-speaking countries, I've really gotten used to the comfort that comes with speaking the language of the country I was traveling in. But regardless of comfort: I'm curious to finally see more of Asia in the coming weeks!