Monday, October 1, 2012

Day 347: To Mexico City

So today it finally arrived: the day I made my way to the last city I'm visiting in the Americas (for now, at least). Since the bus trip from Oaxaca was a mere six hours long, I decided to go during the day - no chance to get a decent night's sleep in in just six hours. Consequently, I got to enjoy some more Mexican landscape:


Arriving in Mexico City, I was surprised that the traffic didn't seem bad at all. The bus station I arrived at - Mexico City has four - was within four metro stations of the main square downtown, so we had to pass through a good part of the city to get there. However, we made it without any signs of traffic jam. The next surprise was that the air pollution didn't seem so bad either. I had read terrible things about the air in Mexico City, but so far the big smog hasn't arrived.

Much to my delight, I discovered that Mexico City has a wonderful metro system. Pretty much everything is reachable by metro: all the bus terminals, the airport, downtown, and everything in between. And it is extremely cheap, too: one trip costs 3 pesos - 18 euro cents.



When I got to my hostel, it was already quite late, so the only thing I ended up doing in Mexico City today was a visit to the Zócalo - the main square. The buildings surrounding the square were all decorated in Mexican colors - left over from the independence day celebrations, I guess.


On the Zócalo, I also found some tasty street food - Tlayudas I think they're called. Somehow, even the food ended up being decorated in Mexican colors ;-)