Thursday, August 30, 2012

Day 314: Liberia

Liberia is a small and not overly pretty town. But, since it is the entry point for the nearby national park, we went there anyway. The town center has a pretty central park, and opposite the park is this modern church:


I just love the contrast between the white church and the very dark sky in that moment. And of course, a few minutes later, the dark sky turned into a major downpour - which we sat out having lunch at a lovely Mexican place.

Apart from that, the only thing worth noting was that I got bitten by some kind of horsefly on the way to Liberia. In retrospect, three days after the bite, I can say that this was by far the most uncomfortable insect bite I ever had. The first day, the bite hurt and burned. Then it started swelling up until my entire upper arm and the elbow joint were almost twice their normal size. And then the itching came. Ah well.  Now, on the third day after the bite, the swelling has gone down significantly, but the itching is still there from time to time. Overall, an experience I am not very keen on repeating ;-)