Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 288: Santa Marta

Today I moved on to Santa Marta. My main purpose here was to secure a hike to the lost city, which was surprisingly easy: the company's office was only one block from my hostel, they had a departure planned for the next day, and offered to store a bag with heavy stuff for me during the hike. Perfect!

Afterwards, I had some time left to stroll around the city. While certainly not as beautiful as Cartagena overall, Santa Marta does have a handsome cathedral:



Also, I found the city beach to be a little nicer - and way more accessible - than the one in Cartagena. Santa Marta has a wide waterfront avenue that is almost like a big park stretched out along the entire length of the beach, with big trees, ice cream vendors, and a few statues. Plus, the sunset wasn't half bad :-)