Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Day 289: Hiking to the Lost City (1)

The first day of my four-day hike to the lost city started with a rather long truck ride to the trailhead, a village called El Mamey. On the way, several motorcycles overtook our truck on the narrow dirt path. As the guide explained, these are taxis that provide public transportation to the village. Most of them seem to be illegal because their owners don't have a transportation company; but according to the guide, it's a system that has worked well for years in rural Colombia.

Twenty minutes into the hike, we came across the first highlight: a natural swimming pool!



The water felt extremely refreshing. Even this early in the hike, I was already drenched in sweat - thanks to the extreme humidity, of course. I wonder how many liters of sweat I produced in these four days? But I probably wouldn't want to know the answer anyway ;-)

The scenery was very green, jungle-like. When the view opened up, there were more green hills to be seen, some of them shrouded in clouds and mist.



Along the way, the color of the earth changed from white to red to ocher - and back. This is a red part of the path:



After only about three hours, we arrived at the place we were going to spend the night. The so-called cabaña was just a roof over hard earth, filled with about fifty hammocks to accommodate tired hikers. This was the first night ever that I spent in a hammock! It wasn't too bad, but overall I have to admit that I still prefer a bed ;-)