Thursday, August 9, 2012

Day 292: Hiking back from the Lost City (4)

The last day of the lost city hike meant another seven hours of walking - all of them before lunch. Since I had not eaten dinner - and reverse-eaten lunch - yesterday, I didn't have a lot left to go on. Especially on the uphill parts, I felt completely empty and had to sit down frequently. About halfway up the first ascent, the guide offered to carry my backpack for me. Luckily, he didn't heed my weak refusal. But even without my pack, the hike was really hard. I think my brain must have shut down for parts of it to get away from the pain - at least that's the only explanation I have for why I can't remember taking this picture:



It turned out quite beautiful though, didn't it?

This next picture I do remember - it was at the beginning of a downhill slope, and I looked up from the trail to see this giant bamboo-like tree completely filling my view. Amazing!



Some time later, I caught up to my guide hearing him hack at something with his machete. When I got there, there was blood on the trail, and he pointed to the snake he's just chucked aside. He'd just slain a poisonous coral snake. Well done!



Some time later again, I got to the final hill on the trail. After this point, there was only downhill left. What a relief! This is the view:



Arriving back in the village, I was somewhat happy that I'd survived, but mainly I was completely and utterly exhausted. I couldn't even touch the delicious looking lunch we received.

The rest of the day consisted of an uneventful drive back to Santa Marta - which had almost been flooded by heavy rainfalls in the meantime - and a short drive further to Taganga, where I could finally crash into my hostel bed.