Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 299: San Jose

Today was kind of a weird day: I knew that my mum would be arriving for a three-week visit tomorrow, and so I felt I shouldn't really do any sightseeing yet because she'd want to see everything, too. So what I did instead was a bit of reading, a bit of washing and shoe-shining, and a bit of blogging.

In the afternoon, I decided to walk into the city center, just to get a first impression. What I found was that Costa Ricans seem obsessed with fast food. On one street in particular, there were at least two restaurants of every single fast food chain I've ever heard of - and of a few local chains on top of that. The obsession with obtaining food fast continued in convenience stores - there was one at least on every corner, and the shelves with takeaway food were pretty well stocked.

Luckily, there were a few beautiful buildings among all the fast food rage, too. This, for example, is the national theater - gorgeous, isn't it?