Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 198: Goodbye, Lima!

I didn't visit much today, mainly wandering around the nearby parks for a bit and waiting for my bus.

One thing I noticed (again) was how chatty Peruvians seem to be. Several times, when I was sitting on a bench reading, or walking down a street, or standing around looking at something or other, someone tried to start a conversation with me, for no apparent reason at all. It's nice that they seem to be interested in foreigners without necessarily wanting to sell them stuff, but sometimes I'd much rather read my book than practice my Spanish ;-)

One guy was particularly obnoxious and impossible to get rid of. He interrupted me reading, and continued talking to me even after observing that I didn't seem to talk much (well duh, I was trying to read after all). Then at one point he asked whether I believe in god. When I answered in the negative, he earnestly started a discussion, wanting to know my reasons for not believing and trying to convince me with "scientific" proof that I must be wrong. What the hell?

The saddest part about this, however, is that the guy is not much of an exception in super-catholic Latin America. After six months, I'm quite fed up with having to see stickers saying "Heart of Jesus" or "Our Lady of something-or-other" on every car and every corner. Looking forward to getting to Asia at some point :-)