Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Day 340: To San Cristóbal de las Casas

Last night, I boarded a night bus to San Cristóbal de las Casas. This trip turned out to be the first time in more than eleven months of travel that I experienced a bus having mechanical problems. It being a night bus, I was asleep at the time it happened, of course. It's amazing how you get used to the bus making a certain sound during the journey. I'm almost certain that I woke up because the bus was suddenly going much slower, and thus making a different sound. So that's basically all that happened: the bus couldn't go very fast anymore - if it did, something started to smell. So we had to wait for a while for other buses going the same route to turn up and then change to one of them.

The nightly waiting time pushed my arrival in San Cristóbal de las Casas back by about two hours, so it was already afternoon when we pulled into the bus terminal. My first impression was that the air was finally refreshingly crisp and almost cool. I had really looked forward to that during the past two weeks of stifling heat!

Later, I wandered around town for a bit and ended up walking up one of the hills in San Cristóbal. The view from the top was quite nice, but since half of the sky was clouded and there were telephone and power lines hanging around, the pictures didn't turn out very well.

The church at the top - of course there was a church at the top, Mexico is a catholic country after all - was called Templo de Guadalupe.



On one of the walls inside, there was a black crucified Christ, and the person lying in the sarcophagus below seemed to have dreadlocks. 'Interesting,' was just about all I could think ;-)