Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 335: Diving in Cozumel

The reason I came to Playa del Carmen in the first place was the great diving to be had near the island of Cozumel, half an hour by ferry from Playa del Carmen. Initially I had thought that there would be dive boats leaving from Playa del Carmen to dive at Cozumel, but I was wrong: the one dive shop I checked out yesterday recommended that I just take an early ferry to Cozumel and arrange the dive over there. So that's what brought me to the Playa del Carmen pier between 7 and 8 this morning. At this hour, the beach was still nice and peaceful - the party crowd doesn't wake up that early ;-)


In Cozumel, I headed to one of the dive shops recommended in my guide book, and as it turned out they had a boat leaving within the next thirty minutes. Perfect timing! The first dive took us to Palancar Gardens, reportedly one of the best sites around Cozumel. The dive was spectacular, with plenty of colorful tropical fish. The main attraction, however, was the coral reef itself, full of strangely shaped coral and plants, with small caverns to swim through and lobsters lurking under coral shelves. To top it off, we saw five blacktip reef sharks toward the end of the dive.

The second dive at the Tormentos reef was a little less spectacular, but still beautiful. Since it was a drift dive, it was also a perfect dive for lazy people: nothing more to do than drifting along with the current and enjoying the underwater movie playing right in front of your eyes.

On our way back to the shore, I noticed the gorgeous blue color of the sea. I was suddenly not sure if I'd ever seen an ocean take on exactly this lovely shade of blue. I know I say this every time I see an ocean look pretty, but isn't this just the perfect color?