Sunday, September 23, 2012

Day 338: Still in Mérida

Mérida is a pretty city with many colonial buildings, and so just wandering around in the city is a pleasure. However, the heat and humidity in the city somehow suck up all energy and leave little to spend on exploring. The little exploring that I did - I wanted to visit the museum of anthropology and history - was done in vain, because the museum was undergoing renovation.

Anyway, I got to see some beautiful colonial facades like this one:


In the afternoon, I took a swim in the hostel's pool. The pool turned out to be big enough to get some serious swimming in, and so I converted the leisurely dip into a spontaneous workout. Although I'm in a pretty pitiful shape right now, I loved the workout start to finish. Finally feeling my muscles ache and grow tired again was the sweetest thing I'd felt in a while, and I was totally psyched and jittery the entire evening.

Maybe it's time to adjust my plans according to this experience: if I come back 'home' (wherever that may turn out to be) in the spring next year, I'll have time enough to train and get a few sprint triathlons in next summer...