Friday, November 30, 2012

Day 406: Kayaking in Vang Vieng

Vang Vieng is famous for its scenery and the range of outdoor activities available. The most famous of these activities is tubing - floating down the river while lounging in an inner tube. The reason why this was immensely popular in Vang Vieng were countless riverside bars where people would take breaks to get drunk. After more than 20 tourists died in subsequent accidents in 2011, most of the bars are now closed. I'm not quite sure what will happen to the bloated tourist infrastructure in Vang Vieng once the backpacker party crowd realizes there is no more drunk tubing to be had here...

Anyway, since tubing sounded rather boring, I opted to do a kayaking trip down the same river, but starting much further upstream. Before we got into the kayaks, we visited Loup cave, one of many caves in the region. On the way to the cave, the guide suddenly pointed out a group of trees and asked if I knew what they were. I didn't - because I had never seen teak trees before. The leaves were huge, about 30 cm long and almost as wide.


The cave was a fantastic experience. Aside from two wooden ladders for the initial climb into the cave, there was no infrastructure inside: no lights, no paths, no roped-off areas where the ground suddenly disappears. We were provided with head lamps by our guide, and he also showed us where best to step. I loved discovering the rock formations in my lamp's dim light. I never had the overall views you can see in the following pictures - they were only possible thanks to my camera's flash.




It had been raining on and off all day, but just in time for our kayaking, the rain stopped for good. The clouds lingering on the mountains resulted in really beautiful views: