Friday, November 9, 2012

Day 383: Dalat

Today I wanted to take a slow day - I was still processing all the new things I learned yesterday. I therefore started the day with a visit to Dalat's flower park. They had all kinds of colorful flowers, and also funny green sculptures, like these two teapots:


This was a tree whose flowers had an amazing deep red color - anyone know what the tree is called?


Next, I went to look at the train station - Vietnam's oldest, apparently. The station is an Art Deco building with a few old locomotives in the back. As I found out, it seems to be a popular spot for wedding photography. In Vietnam, couples have wedding pictures made before the actual wedding, so that the entrance to the wedding party's location can be decorated with a huge print of the couple in their wedding outfit.

When I was there, a photographer was sitting on a wall, shouting commands at the couple who then changed their postures accordingly. Whenever the photographer was satisfied with the posture, he took a few shots and then started shouting new commands immediately. I left after watching for a few minutes, so I don't know how long the photography session took; judging by the patient looks on the couple's faces, however, it seemed to be a lengthy procedure.


My last stop for the day was the crazy house. The crazy house was designed by a Vietnamese architect who wanted to emphasize the connection between people and their natural environment. Parts of the building are therefore shaped like animals or plants, and there are high walkways connecting the various parts. The overall appearance is that of a crazy mixture of shapes, colors and styles - and that's probably where its name came from ;-)