Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cherry blossoms - Osaka

A beautiful surprise was waiting for me when I came back from Okinawa about 10 days ago: the cherry trees, all over the city, were in full bloom! It really is an awesome sight - and ubiquitous too, because there are cherry trees virtually everywhere in the city.

The only special cherry blossom viewing place I went to in Osaka was the castle: there is a nice little garden in the castle park with a beautiful view of the castle. It was almost dark when I arrived there, but the trees were very nicely illuminated. Have a look: 
 
 

The university campus is no exception to the ubiquity of cherry trees, of course. This is the view from my apartment door: 
 

Pretty nice way to leave the house in the morning, isn't it?

The only sad thing about Japanese cherry trees is - they don't bear fruit! What a feast that would be in summer, with fresh cherries from thousands of trees... but no, apparently the Japanese are satisfied with purely visual pleasure in this case. Though why anyone would willingly forgo feasting on fresh cherries is beyond me...