Monday, February 21, 2011

Earthquake!

I experienced my first ever earthquake today, at 3:46pm.

I was just having coffee with a colleague in the 7th floor of our building, when suddenly the building started moving and we heard noises as if somebody was moving furniture about. The whole thing lasted for a about minute, or maybe only 30 seconds, and then everything was quiet again.

Feeling the building move below me was slightly eerie, but also strangely fascinating. The power that nature is able to unleash somehow never fails to amaze me.

The quake's magnitude was only 5.0 (look here or here for more information), but the epicenter was less than 100km away, so it was pretty close. We probably also felt it a little stronger because we were on the 7th floor.

So now the question is - how would I have reacted if the quake was any stronger? I'll take this as an occasion to read up on the topic of how to behave during an earthquake :-)