Saturday, February 5, 2011

Christmas / 5ivestar Fashion Show

This blog post about how I spent my Christmas in Japan is WAY overdue by now... but better late than never, right?

As you may know, Christmas is not a real holiday in Japan because virtually nobody is Christian around here. So instead, Christmas is treated as an imported festivity - a little like Halloween in Germany. There seems to be the notion that you have to eat a special Christmas cake (look here for pictures), and so all the bakeries start selling them from the beginning of December. Needless to say that they're ridiculously expensive - and of course I had to try one... they're basically just sponge cakes with a cream and strawberry filling, nothing very special in my opinion!

On Christmas Eve, I was invited to come along to a Christmas party at a friend's house. The party was great and very international which I really enjoyed. The only downside was that we had to leave relatively early to catch the last train home. On a side node: that's one aspect of Japan that I really don't get. You live in a multi-million city, and the trains stop running around midnight? What kind of bullshit is that?

Anyway, on the next day I accompanied a friend to the fashion show 5ivestar. He knew one of the performers (I do now, too), so we were able to get discounted tickets. I've never been to a fashion show before, so I can't really say if it was a regular fashion show or something out of the ordinary. In any case, I had lots of fun and really enjoyed the show. Check out some pictures below :-)



The world would be a more colorful place if people wore feathers in their faces more often!