Saturday, February 12, 2011

Customs among race cyclists

How do you distinguish between Japanese and non-Japanese race cyclists? Apart from the obvious, there's one big difference I noticed during my cycling trips in Japan.

As I mentioned before, I cycle on a 5km loop because it's the only designated bike path I've found so far. Every time I'm there, there are several other race cyclists doing loops, so I suppose it's really one of the better options for cycling around here. Being a loop, you often come across other cyclists who happen to do the same loop in the opposite direction.

Now, in Germany, when you encounter other cyclists on the road, you greet them - nothing fancy, just a nod of the head or a short raise of the hand. In Japan, however, this custom doesn't seem to exist: up until now, the only cyclists who have returned my greeting were gaijin, while the Japanese cyclists stare but don't react - not even on the second or third encounter. What a shame!