Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Day 468: Shopping in Bangkok

Bangkok is a shopper's paradise. There are several huge malls that carry all the luxury brands. There are several more malls with slightly-less-luxurious goods and local designers. There is (at least) one entire mall only for gems and jewelry. There are huge outdoor markets with goods of varying quality. And, of course, the streets are lined with shops and stalls, too.

While this seems all nice and fancy on the first glance, it is just too much for me. I wonder how anybody ever finds something specific in these mazes of malls? There is just too much - and much too often it's more of the same, instead of some kind of variety.

I spent a fair amount of time looking around malls and markets - if only for the aircon and the huge English-language bookstores - but aside from the excellent food courts I haven't spent any money there. Maybe I don't belong to the typical target group of large shopping malls? ;-)