Monday, January 28, 2013

Day 464: Back to Bangkok

Before I left Ayutthaya for Bangkok in the afternoon, I made a small walk through the park directly opposite my hostel. The park being in Ayutthaya, it was filled with temple ruins, of course. Since it is out of the way for most tourists, it was very nice and quiet (apart from the usual noise coming from the busy road next to it). I really enjoyed wandering around for a bit without having to deal with the tourist bustle.


Later, on my way to the train station, I saw this vending machine:


Initially I thought it was a vending machine for cigarettes - but when I stopped to take a second look I noticed pretty quickly that what it was actually selling was gas for motorcycles. I found it quite surprising because I had never before seen a gas station without any kind of attendant. Even the rustic Cambodian "gas stations" that displayed their gas in old whisky bottles always had staff nearby. Not so at this one. Why do gas stations have attendants, anyway?