Monday, April 30, 2012

Day 183: Nazca to Paracas

Since Nazca doesn't really have a lot to offer besides the lines, I decided to make my way to the coastal village of Paracas today. The bus left around noon, so I had plenty of time to visit the Antonini museum of archeology before.

The museum presents photos and exhibits from a number of excavation sites in the Nazca area. What impressed me most was a surprisingly obvious insight. The Nazca seem to have been masters of pottery, leaving behind beautifully decorated pieces like this:



Now, I had seen items like this before, in the museum of pre-Colombian art in Cusco. What hadn't occurred to me then, however, was that they would have needed special tools to produce the delicate paintings. Due to the arid desert climate around Nazca, some of these tools have been preserved perfectly and are now exhibited in the museum:



1500 year old paintbrushes, looking almost new - how crazy is that?