Friday, April 20, 2012

Day 173: Colonial Arequipa

After procuring one of the few remaining bus tickets to Cusco for this evening, I made a farewell walk through Arequipa, visiting some nice places I hadn't seen so far.

First was the mirador of Yanahuara. It offered a nice view over Arequipa, and there was a park right next to it with a beautifully adorned church:



Next, I went to look at some more of the colonial buildings I had seen in old photographs in the art museum a few days prior. This used to be the private house of the Moral family - looking exactly the same as 80 years ago.



And two blocks further, the church of San Agustin:



Just look at the lavish decorations on all three buildings - aren't they great?

Just before heading to the bus terminal, I walked around Selva Alegre park for a bit - I just HAD to see a park called happy forest. The park was full of people enjoying Easter Sunday, so it did indeed have a somewhat happy atmosphere ;-) What made me most happy were these beautiful flowers: