Monday, March 21, 2011

Aso

In Aso, I stayed in the Aso Base Backpackers hostel for two nights. It is a brand-new place, located only two minutes away from the train station, featuring a great communal area and kitchen, as well as free coffee, tea, and wifi.

Just after my arrival, I got to talk with a guy who was also staying there. As it turns out, he had just quit his job as a software engineer to travel through Asia for a year. He said he had hated getting up in the morning to go to his job, and hated himself for still doing it every morning. He said you have to live your life every day and do things that inspire you.

This got me thinking: when I go back to Germany in May, I will have some savings, but no relationship, no job, and most importantly, no idea which kind of job I'd really want to do. But I've always loved traveling. Getting to know different cultures, languages, foods, nature, sights, and people has always fascinated me. So why not go backpacking myself? Now seems to be the perfect time in my life!

So, thanks to this random guy I met in a youth hostel - who I didn't even exchange contact information with... stupid me. Justin, if you by any chance read this: send me an email :-) - I now know again what I want to do. I am really excited and already looking forward to my trip!

But back to Aso. On Saturday, I got up pretty early to catch the first bus up to Aso-san. The volcano was emitting steaming clouds, but luckily no toxic fumes, and so I could start my hike with a good look at the crater.

As you can see (or maybe not) the blue light was flashing, indicating that everything was safe
The crater, seen from a little further up

Near the crater, there were a couple of booths selling bright yellow lumps of sulfur - accompanied by the warning that you cannot take them on an airplane (not even in checked baggage). So of course I didn't buy any but took a couple of pictures:


The hike - which ended up being a little more than 16 kilometers - took me to two of the five peaks of Aso-san, Naka-dake at 1506m and Taka-dake at 1592m. Unfortunately, I had to use the same path for the return trip because the path I wanted to take was closed off. If you're interested, have a look at the track (and don't forget they provide aerial pictures, too).


Naka-dake peak
Taka-dake peak

I didn't meet many people during that day, but there was some snow at the peaks and beautifully colored rocks to look at.



When I sat in the bus on my way down to Aso again, they started burning the old grass on the mountain. The flames were visible in Aso and continued for several hours.


After the hike, I had originally planned to visit the fire festival which was to take place in the evening. Unfortunately - but understandably - the festival had been canceled because of the earthquake.

So instead of going to the fire festival, I spent some time relaxing in the local Onsen. An Onsen is a public bath that - as far as I know - has one or more hot baths that are powered by local hot springs. The Onsen in Aso has two hot baths, one indoor and one outdoor. There is also a sauna, a cold bath, and a couple of Japanese-style showers. As the baths in the Onsen are strictly separated by sex, I guess that the same facilities are also available in the men's part. After a day of hiking, bathing in an Onsen is indeed the perfect way to relax!